Saturday, February 6, 2010

Initial Here, Here, Here.. and Here

We met with the agents again last night at 6pm to sign the contract on the piece of property we decided on! It's real now. We own this piece of property! This really doesn't make much sense to me because like, when it comes to what I feel "old enough to do" I have the list of things that a seventeen year old is "allowed to do" in my head. While we sat there I kept thinking how silly I must look in there with those "adults" .. signing papers and reading contracts- with a flower headband on my head. Haha! I know I'm being crazy, but it's really just a weird feeling when you realize, HEY I really am THIS grown up now! Weird!

So yes- we own the property. It's OURS. We have an address! We answered some questions about the structural things that we definitely wanted to add on as upgrades so that once all of the paper work goes through the city, they can start building! We decided against the fireplace because it was quite expensive and we had to really evaluate how often we'd use it. It's definitely pretty but, just something to hassle with and maintain (since it would have been wood burning). Plus, all of our electric wiring and such is underground in our community, meaning an ice storm can't take it out on us! I think I'd rather have a generator heat a good portion of our house with space heaters than sit a foot away from my fireplace for days on end, anyway. (I'm trying to talk you and myself into the whole "the fireplace is pretty- not a necessity" idea. How am I doing?) We also decided to go with the 9 foot ceilings- that is definitely worth the money to me, even on the resale side of things. In addition to those we decided to add the attic storage package and the garden tub/separate shower. I think those were the only things we really needed to decide on last night. Everything else is cosmetic, and you already know how excited I am to pick those things out! I believe we'll get to do that sometime next week, but we'll be able to go back a few times if we'd like just to make sure we really KNOW what we want.

Nate and I have been really in-tune through this whole thing for the most part. The only thing we've really "disagreed on" would be my interest in having wood throughout the living area- he wants carpet. But, where-as he is strongly against the idea of that much wood, I could do either and be happy so it's really not even a disagreement. I will most likely end up with wood in the kitchen/dining area and entry area. We will see! On the 16th there are going to be a ton of open houses put on by our builder so we are going to visit a handful to get ideas and see the actual floors/counters/cabinets in "real life" to figure out what we truly want.

So I guess I should show you a few pictures of the model of our home, huh? :)


Here we are standing outside looking at the front (in the dark!). Ours will actually be flipped due to the property we're on and the houses going up beside us.


The front door straight ahead. Door to the right (or left when you enter the front door) is a half bath. Door that you cannot see opposite that door is a nice sized closet under the stairs. The opening right after the half bath is to the door to the garage.


Looking up from the bottom of the stairs.


The desk/book shelves that you see here are an upgrade that costs way too much! We can get the phone jack, electric outlet, etc installed here and then put our own desk there or whatever we would like to do with that space. :)


Looking to the right, the kitchen! It's such an open floor plan.


The kitchen and the dining area!






And like I said, no fireplace. But this will give us more options for furniture placement!


Going up!


The doors you see on the right = the laundry closet room area.


Master bedroom. Standard ceilings. <3


Inside the bathroom... oh and yeah, that is my closet. <3 Nate gets his own closet too!


Garden tub! And that window with the block glass costs extra so we're going with a regular window. I will put gorgeous wood blinds on it and it will be just as wonderful!


Double bowl vanity!


So there you have it! There's a lot that I left out but I'm thinking you've got the idea! :) I can't wait until it starts going up and we can go out there every weekend to take progress pics. Fun, fun, fun! *stares around tiny messy room* ... I think I'm going to clean. And then, I'm going to go to the party store and pick out wedding invitations. I like the peacock invites that I picked BUT at this party store they have the entire book of that brand and collection of invitation and I found a few that I think I like MORE. Plus, my photographer got back to me and he can get them at a very reasonable price so! It's time to pick!

5 comments:

  1. I love the house! LOVE! And I don't think I'd miss the blocked glass window beside the garden tub. Wood blinds=much prettier in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's gorgeous! one of our main pet peeves is that our house is so "closed off" on the bottom floor, so we're definitely wanting a similar, open floor plan like that. :)

    i can't wait to visit you guys & bring you housewarming gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad I'm getting good feedback. Not that I thought anyone would hate it, or anything. But it's nice to hear that others like it too! :)

    I can't wait to invite you, Kalen! I'll invite you too Rachie, but you've got a farther drive than Kalen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats =) Don't forget, you can always put an area rug over top of wood floors ;)

    -Meghan Mapes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE IT!!!! I'm totally with you on the upgrade to garden tub, too. GOTTA have a niiiiice tub - it's just necessary. :)

    I love the open concept - Lain and I watch a lot of real estate shows and always comment on how much we prefer open floor plans. I love the kitchen too, so cute. And! A fireplace? I want one so badly, myself.

    Yay!!!! I'm so happy for you two. <3 I can't wait to see all of the big, exciting events happen for you this year!! :)

    ReplyDelete