Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Our Story: Part 2

So you want to know how Nate & I met, huh? Well, if you've read part one, you're probably guessing that Ashley introduced us- and you'd be right. But how? Strangely enough (or maybe not, in this day and age!) we have technology to thank for most everything. Ashley and Nate had actually seen each other's profiles on Myspace and then happened to recognize each other at a UK football game. I don't think they talked that day in person, but I believe one of them messaged the other on Myspace like, "Hey! I saw you at a football game!" and I'm pretty sure that's how their friendship got started. So, when Ashley started talking about this Nate guy and how they were going to hang out I, of course, was in Florida admiring his Myspace pictures and feeling happy for Ashley that she'd met a nice and very good looking guy. ;) I got pretty used to hearing about Nate and his crew of friends as she hung out with him more, but for the most part there wasn't much indication that they thought of each other as anything more than friends. It's funny because the first time that I ever spoke to Nate on the phone, I angrily hung up on him. ;) He and Ashely were out with their usual group having dinner and I called her to rant about whatever usual drama I was going through in my 18 year old life (honestly, everything was a crisis). Nate, unsuspecting and having talked to me on AIM (internet chat) only a few times, thought it would be funny to answer the phone. After hearing a strange guys voice answer Ashley's phone and a bunch of laughing in the background I demanded to talk to Ashley and when that didn't happen I made some sort of unhappy noise (if you know me well enough, you can hear it in your mind I'm sure) and hung up. Nice, right?

So, Nate and I began to chat more online during this time- conversations consisting of: "Haha, I'm sorry I hung up on you.", small talk about music, and probably whatever drama I was experiencing (poor Nate!). This was in the beginning of 2006 and we were fast approaching Ashley's birthday in March. Somewhere in that time we decided that it would be TOO MUCH FUN to surprise Ashley with a visit from me for her birthday and we went to work on the plan! The day that I decided it was definitely going to happen was the first time we ever truly talked on the phone. I was so nervous, but I remember everything about it clearly- sitting at my desk in my room and playing with the sunglasses in my hands... and the fact that I had to go to work at Bob Evans in a few hours. We worked out the details with my Mom and Ashley's Mom, he helped me with the ticket, and it was done! I ended up flying there a little bit after Ash's birthday - March 21st, 2006. Her birthday is the 17th of March. It was great because she had absolutely NO idea and I think to this day this particular secret is probably the only one I've ever successfully kept from her. Her parents and Nate came to pick me up at the airport in Louisville that day while she was at home without a CLUE. I remember seeing Nate for the first time there in that airport- everything about it! And before we knew it we were in the backseat of Ashley's parent's Jeep and on our way! I don't remember a lot about the ride but that's probably because I acted awkward and stupid. ;) And you know how I know? Because I take pictures when I want to distract myself from being a moron.



Thus- the picture of Nate and I that was taken literally like 30 minutes after we met with my camera phone. <3 Love it so much!

In part 3 I will tell you about Ashley's reaction to her surprise, continue on with the story, and post more pictures of us where we look twelve! (This is turning out to be long, whoops! I just keep thinking of more details!)

3 comments:

  1. aw you guys look soo young there, but oh so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is getting good! I love hearing real life love stories <3

    ReplyDelete